Insight Report: Angel Investors
- Pages: 65
- Published: April 2014
- Report Code: WI0012FR
Venture Capital (VC) and Angel Investments (AI) are rapidly becoming an investment of choice for high net worth individuals (HNWIs), as the two investment types account for an ever-increasing percentage of HNW portfolios globally.
Economically developed countries such as the US, the UK, Israel, Germany and France account for most of the world’s VC/AI firms. However, the number of VC/AI firms in emerging markets is expected to increase significantly over the forecast period (2014−2018), as a result of declining opportunities in developed markets, and the rapid pace of economic growth in emerging markets.
Innovation in technology, newer technologies and the distribution of new technologies are expected to garner significant investment from angel investors and venture capitalists between 2014 and 2018.
Innovation is not expected to be limited to the information, communication and technology (ICT) industry. Significant interest is being shown by entrepreneurs and governments alike in developed markets in sustainable energy startups. As a result, increasing investment is expected in renewable energy sectors such as solar and wind power.
• This report provides an in-depth analysis of the HNW AI/VC market and the opportunities it holds for wealth management firms. It includes examples and case studies on innovative methods of improving AI/VC funding and improving the success rate of startups.
• This report provides an in-depth analysis of the global HNW AI and VC markets in terms of age group, gender and wealth band, and provides information on the major markets.
• The report analyzes the drivers that are propelling the VC/AI market around the world, and examines market drivers for the four regions.
• The report provides an insight on the investment attractiveness of each region and provides a brief on the role of various institutions in improving VC/AI funding.
• The developed markets of Europe and North America dominate the VC/AI landscape.
• The US is the largest angel investment market in the world. The UK, Israel, Germany and France also account for a significant number of the world’s VC/AI firms.
• The VC/AI sector is expected to gather pace in high-growth economies in Latin America, the Middle East, North Africa and Asia-Pacific.
• The majority of the global VC/AI population belongs to the lower wealth bands. While lower-tier millionaires account for 33.5% of the global HNWI population, mid-tier millionaires account for 31.3%.
• Angel investors and venture capitalists are focusing on investing in their own industry.
• Females account for a minority share of the global HNW VC/AI market.
• Sustainable energy startups will remain a significant force in attracting angel funding.
Reasons to buy
• Take strategic business decisions using information that depicts the emergence of angel funding as a viable investment option among HNWIs.
• Understand the factors that affect the investment decision-making processes of HNW VCs and AIs.
• Understand a region's current economic and regulatory environments and be informed about the various regional factors working for and against the angel investment market.
• Identify top VC/AI markets globally and in all the regions studied.
Sony Pictures Television International
Table of Contents
LIST OF TABLES
LIST OF FIGURES
1.1 What is this Report About?
2 Executive Summary
3 Global Snapshot
3.1 The VC/AI Market – A Snapshot
3.2 Market Attractiveness for Angel investors
3.3 Global Angel Investment and Venture Capital Investment Trends
3.4 Findings from the HNWI database
3.5 Case Study: Tiger of Money – the Startup Game
3.6 Case Study: Innovation Warehouse – One-Stop Solution
3.7 Roles of Various Entities in Improving the Private Equity Market
4 Key Drivers for the Angel Investment Market
4.1 The Americas
4.4 The Middle East and Africa
5 Current Trends in the Angel Investment Market
5.1 The Americas
5.4 The Middle East and Africa
6 Key Challenges in the Angel Investment Market
6.1 The Americas
6.4 The Middle East & Africa
7 About WealthInsight
List of Tables
Table 1: HNWI Wealth Band and Group Definitions
Table 2: Angel Investments by Industry Sector in the US, 2012
Table 3: US Employment due to Business Angels, 2012
Table 4: Angel Investments by Sector in Latin America, 2012
Table 5: Female Contributions in the US Angel Investment Market (%), 2008–2012
Table 6: Shares of Angel Investments in Australia by Sector (%), 2013
Table 7: VC Investments in India by Volume (%), 2012
Table 8: Business Angel Network Investments in Europe (EUR Million), 2008–2012
Table 9: Shares of Angel Investments in Europe by Sector (%), 2013
Table 10: Angel Investor Populations in EBAN by Country, 2013 48
Table 11: Shares of Angel Investments in the Middle East by Country (%), 2012
Table 12: VC investments in the Middle East and Africa (Volume), 2012
Table 13: PE investments in the Middle East and Africa (Volume), 2012
Table 14: VC Exit Opportunities in the Middle East (Volume), 2012
List of Figures
Figure 1: The VC/AI Market – A Snapshot
Figure 2: Global Snapshot of the Investment Market, 2014
Figure 3: HNW VC/AI Individuals by Age Group (%), 2014
Figure 4: HNW VC/AI Individuals by Gender (%), 2014
Figure 5: HNW VC/AI Individuals by Wealth Band (%), 2014
Figure 6: Global HNW VC/AI Market by Region (%), 2014
Figure 7: Regional Shares of HNW VC/AI National Populations (%), 2014
Figure 8: HNW VC/AI Individuals by Nationality as a Share of the Global Population (%), 2014
Figure 9: HNW VC/AI Firms by Regional Location (%), 2014
Figure 10: Locations of HNW VC/AI Firms in Developed and Emerging Markets (%), 2014
Figure 11: Shares of Angel Investors Investing through a Primary Company (%), 2014
Figure 12: Percentage Shares of HNW VC/AIs Investing in the Same Industry (%), 2014
Figure 13: HNW VC/AIs in the Americas by Age Group (%), 2014
Figure 14: HNW VC/AIs in the Americas by Wealth Band (%), 2014
Figure 15: HNW VC/AIs in the Americas by Gender, 2014
Figure 16: HNW VC/AIs in Asia-Pacific by Age Group (%), 2014
Figure 17: HNW VC/AIs in Asia-Pacific by Wealth Band (%), 2014
Figure 18: HNW VC/AIs in Asia-Pacific by Gender (%), 2014
Figure 19: HNW Angel Investors in Europe by Age Group, 2014
Figure 20: HNW Angel Investors in Europe by Wealth Band (%), 2014
Figure 21: HNW VC/AIs in Europe by Gender (%), 2014
Figure 22: HNW VC/AIs in the Middle East and Africa by Age Group (%), 2014
Figure 23: HNW VC/AIs in the Middle East and Africa by Wealth Band (%), 2014
Figure 24: HNW VC/AIs in the Middle East and Africa by Gender (%), 2014