Competitor Profile: Klarna
- Pages: 19
- Published: May 2019
- Report Code: VR1165MR
Klarna is a Swedish online payment service provider (PSP). Established in 2005, the company now serves 60 million customers and is accepted by over 100,000 online merchants across 14 countries. Klarna acquired SOFORT in 2014, turning it into one of the largest PSPs in European e-commerce. Today, Klarna accounts for 10% of the total e-commerce payments in Northern Europe.
Klarna offers both immediate and pay-later options for e-commerce purchases, allowing customers to make payments within 14-30 days after receiving the purchased items. It also offers an extended credit financing option called “Divide or Slice it,” through which users can make payments in monthly installments for up to 36 months. Klarna acts as a mediator between merchants and buyers and assumes the fraud and credit risk involved in transactions. To further enhance its product portfolio, Klarna launched its “Slice it in 4” payment option in October 2018, enabling customers to pay in four equal installments using a debit or credit card.
In November 2017, Klarna partnered with Nordic-based PSP Nets to provide its customers with a pay-later solution at physical stores throughout the Nordic region. The company also entered the peer-to-peer (P2P) payment space in August 2017 with the launch of Wavy, an app that allows users in 31 European countries to send and request money by connecting their bank accounts or credit cards.
In June 2017, it received a full banking license from Sweden’s financial supervisory authority, allowing it to offer banking products and services. In line with the banking license, Klarna announced the launch of the Klarna Visa debit card for in-store and online payments in July 2018.
The report provides information and insights into alternative payment solution Klarna including –
– Detailed insight into its business
– Comprehensive coverage of its products and services
– Comparative assessment with key alternative payment solutions
– Information on its performance, including its revenue model
– The company's important events and milestones
– In February 2005, Klarna founded under the name Kreditor in Sweden.
– In August 2017, Klarna launched P2P payments app Wavy in 31 European markets.
– In November 2017, Klarna partnered with Nets to extend its pay-later option for in-store payments as well.
– In October 2018, Klarna launched the ‘Slice it in 4’ payment option, enabling customers to pay in four equal instalments using their own debit or credit card.
Reasons to buy
– Gain insights into Klarna's business operations, and key events.
– Gain insights into its product portfolio and revenue model.
– Assess the competitive dynamics in the alternative payments industry by comparing its performance against competitors.
Close Brothers Retail Finance
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Products & Services