Competitor Profile: Alipay
- Pages: 17
- Published: May 2019
- Report Code: VR1163MR
Alipay is the largest alternative payment services provider globally in terms of transaction value. It is a subsidiary of Ant Financial Services, which is controlled by Alibaba Group. Alipay allows users to make fund transfers as well as online, in-app, and in-store payments at home and abroad. It is the primary method of payment for Alibaba’s online marketplaces, including AliExpress, Tmall, and Taobao. In fiscal year 2018 ended March 31, almost 70% of gross merchandise value in Alibaba’s Chinese marketplaces was settled via Alipay. The solution has become mainstream in China, and is used to make payments for everything from retail purchases to taxi fares and hospital costs. Over 40 million Chinese merchants now accept Alipay as a payment method in their stores. Alipay is also available as a payment option for transport in over 50 cities across China, as well as in countries including South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, the US, Italy, and Australia.
Launched in 2004, Alipay is now accepted in more than 110 countries, allowing Chinese tourists to make payments in Chinese yuan and settle the amount in 27 international currencies. Outside of China, Alipay’s strategy involves onboarding overseas merchants wherever Chinese tourists are likely to shop. As part of its expansion, it has partnered with over 250 overseas financial institutions and payment solution providers. This has made the service accessible to Chinese tourists in overseas countries, as well as to foreign customers who purchase products from Alipay-partnered Chinese e-commerce sites.
Alipay launched the localized AlipayHK app for Hong Kong residents in May 2017. Initially the service was made available at over 2,000 merchants in Hong Kong. In April 2017, Ant Financial Services merged with helloPay, a payment solution developed by Southeast Asian online marketplace provider Lazada, which operates in countries including Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
The report provides information and insights into Alipay including –
– Detailed insight into its business
– Comprehensive coverage of its products and services
– Comparative assessment with key competitors
– Information on its performance, including its revenue model
– The company's important events and milestones.
– In December 2004, Alipay was launched in China.
– Alipay offers transport payment services in 15 markets including China, South Korea, Hong Kong Singapore, Malaysia, the US, Italy, and Australia.
– In September 2017, Alipay launched the Smile to Pay feature, allowing users to make payments with a smile during checkout at stores.
– In March 2019, Alipay partnered with Barclaycard to increase its acceptance network in the UK.
Reasons to buy
– Gain insights into Alipay's business operations, and key events.
– Gain insights into its product portfolio and revenue model.
– Assess the competitive dynamics in the alternative payments industry by comparing its performance against competitors.
Ant Financial Services
Alibaba Group Holding Limited
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Products & Services
Partner Banks and Financial Institutions in China