Battery technology has matured significantly during the past two decades as not only the world but also energy has become increasingly mobile. LIBs have grown to become the dominant battery technology across a wide range of applications. It is a disruptive technology that will significantly alter a variety of industry sectors, including consumer electronics, energy, oil & gas, transportation, and maritime. LIBs have the potential to be one of the best sources of power for Unmanned Underwater Vehicles (UUVs), torpedoes, and submarines, because their compact designs bring higher efficiency and strengthen reliability for underwater applications.
Batteries have been used on underwater applications for more than a century, for instance, lead-acid batteries have been used in conventionally powered submarines since the end of the 19th century. They are still a common power source onboard submarines. While these batteries have been the standard used in submarines, their dominance is increasingly challenged by a new generation of LIBs that offer better power and energy density. LIBs have the potential to be one of the best sources of power for Unmanned Underwater Vehicles (UUVs), torpedoes, and submarines because their compact designs bring higher efficiency and strengthen reliability for underwater applications.
While LIBs are becoming more common in UUVs, there are a few combat torpedoes powered lithium-based batteries. LIBs are now generally preferred for exercise torpedoes.
Reasons to Buy
• Our thematic investment research product, supported by our thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors. • Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to theircompetitive landscape. • Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most exciting investment opportunities in global Aerospace & Defense. • Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, GlobalData’s thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. Our unique differentiator, compared to all our rival thematic research houses, is that our thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting leaders and challengers.
• Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
• Gain in-depth understanding about the underlying factors driving demand for USV in the top spending countries across the world and identify the opportunities offered by each of them
• Strengthen your understanding of the market in terms of demand drivers, industry trends, and the latest technological developments, among others
• Identify the major channels that are driving the global unmanned surface vehicles report, providing a picture about future opportunities that can be tapped, resulting in revenue expansion
• Channelize resources by focusing on the ongoing programs that are being undertaken by the defense ministries of different countries for USVs
• Make correct business decisions based on thorough analysis of the total competitive landscape of the sector with detailed profiles of the top unmanned surface vehicles providers around the world which include information about their product portfolio and key programs wherever available
Saft Groupe (Saft), Samsung SDI, EaglePicher Technologies, General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems, Kokam, Corvus Energy, GS Yasua, ALSE, Denchi Power, LG Chem, EnerSys Advanced Systems (EAS), Vitzrocell, Oxis Energy, Epsilor Electronic Industries, PMB Defense, Steatite, SubCtec, Leclanche.
Table of Contents
Diesel electric submarines
Unmanned surface vehicles
Market size and growth forecasts
Global underwater market
Mergers and acquisitions
Raw materials suppliers for Li-ion batteries: an overview
Battery cell technologies
Leaders in LIB
Challengers in LIB
Appendix: Our thematic research methodology