Klarna is a Swedish online payment service provider. Established in 2005, the company now serves over 90 million customers and is accepted by over 250,000 merchants across 17 countries. Klarna acquired SOFORT in 2014, turning it into one of the largest payment service providers in the European ecommerce space. As per our 2021 Financial Services Consumer Survey, Klarna accounts for 15% of total ecommerce sales in Sweden, 13% in Norway, and 8% in Finland.
Klarna offers both immediate and pay-later options for ecommerce purchases, allowing customers to make payments after receiving the purchased items. It also offers an extended credit financing option through which users can make payments in monthly installments across up to 36 months. Klarna acts as a mediator between merchants and buyers and assumes the fraud and credit risk involved in transactions. To offer enhanced convenience, Klarna also offers an interest-free installment payment option, enabling customers to pay in three or four equal installments using a debit or credit card.
In June 2017, Klarna received a full banking license from Sweden’s financial supervisory authority, allowing it to offer banking products and services. In February 2021, Klarna launched banking services in Germany.
Klarna has been consistently expanding its geographic presence. It launched its services in Poland in August 2021, having previously expanded into France in June 2021. As part of its inorganic growth strategy, Klarna continues to acquire new companies, which helps it enhance its product offerings for consumers and merchants. In June 2021 alone, it made three acquisitions: HERO, APPRL, and Stocard.
The report provides information and insights into Klarna including –
– Detailed insight into its business
– Comprehensive coverage of its products and services
– Comparative assessment with key alternative payment solutions
– Information on its performance highlights as well as revenue model
– The company's important events and milestones
– In February 2005, Klarna was founded under the name Kreditor in Sweden.
– In March 2017, Klarna partnered with ecommerce platform Shopify to enable merchants in nine countries (including the US and the UK) to offer their customers an instant financing option for online purchases.
– In July 2018, Klarna announced the launch of Klarna Card, which can be used for both in-store and online payments.
– In August 2021, Klarna expanded its partnership with cross-border ecommerce platform Global-e to offer Klarna’s payment services to Global-e merchants across the US, the UK, France, Spain, Italy, and Australia.
Reasons to Buy
– Gain insights into Klarna's business operations and key events.
– Gain insights into its product portfolio.
– Assess the competitive dynamics in the alternative payments industry by comparing its performance against competitors.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Products and Services