Tourism Destination Market Insights – Eastern Europe (2021)
- Pages: 37
- Published: July 2021
- Report Code: GDTT0397MI
This insight report includes an analysis of source markets, infrastructure and attractions, and assesses the risks and opportunities for Eastern Europe as a destination market.
– Russia was the most popular Eastern European destination. In 2019, Russia received 24.4 million international arrivals primarily due to a surge in Chinese tourists (CAGR 2016-19: 13.9%). 2020 saw inbound tourism decline by -79.7% YoY and it lost its title as the most visited destination within the region.
– Boasting 14 UNESCO world heritage sites, impressive natural beauty and a list of iconic cities, Poland is a popular Eastern European destination for various tourist types. In the decade prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, it recorded some of the highest growth in international arrivals in the region (CAGR 2009-19: 6.6%). 2019 saw 21 million international arrivals primarily led by its popularity with European travelers.
– Bulgaria relies more heavily on inbound tourism in comparison to domestic therefore the impact of COVID-19 and international travel restrictions is much greater than other destinations within the region. Pre-pandemic, Bulgaria received 9.4 million international arrivals and had enjoyed years of consecutive growth (CAGR 2009-19: 5.6%).
– This report is part of GlobalData's Destination Market Insights Series. These reports provide an in-depth analysis of a tourist destination and its key source markets, as well as an assessment of the trends and issues in the covered destination market, in this case Eastern Europe.
Reasons to buy
– Obtain a clear and detailed insight into new developments in a popular tourist destination.
– Use data and analysis to explore future trends related to international arrivals, airlines, niche tourism, and hotel developments.
– Gain a strong understanding of the opportunities in the market, as well as the risks, to support better business decisions.
Wyndham Hotels & Resorts
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Types of Tourism
Destination Focus: Ukraine
Destination Focus: Romania
Regional Risk & SWOT Analysis