Growth Hormone Deficiency (GHD) – Opportunity Assessment and Forecast
- Pages: 58
- Published: April 2021
- Report Code: GDHCOA002
Rapid uptake of long-acting growth hormones (GH) is set to shake up the growth hormone deficiency (GHD) space in the three major markets (3MM): the US, Germany and Japan. These therapies are projected to capture over 90% of market share in this region by 2030 due to their potential to improve patient convenience and compliance. Usage of short-acting GHs will markedly decrease over the forecast period as almost all patients switch to treatment with long-acting GHs. These therapies only require patients to self-inject once per week, as compared to short-acting GHs, which require daily injections.
Fiona Chisholm, Pharma Analyst at GlobalData comments: “Short-acting GHs have remained the standard of care in GHD for decades. However, the need for daily injections is associated with poor treatment compliance and, in turn, leads to suboptimal therapeutic outcomes. By dramatically reducing injection burden for patients, long-acting GHs may improve compliance considerably.”
GlobalData’s report highlights four long-acting GHs that are projected to enter the market by 2030: Novo Nordisk’s Sogroya (somapacitan-beco), Ascendis Pharma’s TransCon hGH (lonapegsomatropin), Pfizer and OPKO Biologics’ somatrogon and Hanmi Pharmaceuticals’ efpegsomatropin. TransCon hGH is expected to emerge as the market leader, accounting for approximately 47% of all long-acting GH sales by 2030.
Chisholm continues: “TransCon hGH is likely to perform well commercially due to its innovative design, which releases unmodified GH, and its strong efficacy profile. Additionally, while Sogroya recently gained marketing authorization in the US, EU, and Japan for adult GHD, TransCon hGH will benefit from being the first long-acting GH to be approved in the more lucrative pediatric segment.”
Across the 3MM, the GHD market was valued at $1.08bn in 2020, approximately 71% of which was attributable to US sales. The market is projected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 3.84% to reach $1.57bn by 2030.
Chisholm adds: “Uptake of long-acting GHs represents the main driver of growth over the forecast period. These drugs are expected to be priced at a premium to the currently marketed products due to their superior dosing regimens.”
- Overview of Growth Hormone Deficiency , including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and current management strategies.
- Topline Growth Hormone Deficiency market revenue from 2020-2030. Annual cost of treatment and major pipeline product sales in this forecast period are included.
- Key topics covered include current treatment options, unmet needs and opportunities, and the drivers and barriers affecting Growth Hormone Deficiency treatment sales in the 3MM.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, synopses of innovative early-stage projects, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline products.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global Growth Hormone Deficiency market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, constraints, and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Key Questions Answered
– How will the Growth Hormone Deficiency market landscape in the 3MM (US, German and Japan) change from 2020-2030?
– What are the most promising late-stage pipeline products for Growth Hormone Deficiency?
– How do the clinical and commercial attributes of late-stage pipeline products compare with one another, and against existing treatment options?
– What are the remaining unmet needs in Growth Hormone Deficiency?
– What drivers and barriers will affect Growth Hormone Deficiency treatment sales in the 3MM over the forecast period?
- During the 10-year forecast period, there is one major pipeline product on track to launch, driving a forecast growth in the 3MM from $1.08BN in 2020 to $1.57BN in 2030.
- The long-acting GHs are anticipated to be priced at a small premium to the short-acting GHs due to their superior dosing regimens. Uptake of these drugs is expected to improve treatment rates and treatment adherence.
- The launch of LUM-201 has the potential to increase treatment rates and treatment adherence among PEM-positive pediatric patients due to the more favorable oral administration route.
- However, The GHD market is highly regulated in order to prevent GH misuse, examples of which include administering GH in order to improve athletic performance, induce anti-aging effects, or promote growth in healthy unaffected children. While these restrictions are often necessary, the stringent regulations may sometimes hinder the ability of those with legitimate GH requirements to access therapies in a timely manner.
Reasons to buy
The report will enable you to:
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global Growth Hormone Deficiency market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the retinitis pigmentosa market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments, and strategic partnerships.
Merck KGaA/EMD Serono
Ferring Pharmaceuticals/JCR pharmaceuticals
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Disease Overview
4. Current Treatment Options
5. Unmet Needs and Opportunities
6. R&D Strategies
7. Pipeline Assessment
8. Market Outlook
10. Contact Us