Ukraine Cards and Payments – Opportunities and Risks to 2025
- Pages: 53
- Published: July 2021
- Report Code: GDFS0521CI
GlobalData’s ‘Ukraine Cards and Payments – Opportunities and Risks to 2025’ report provides detailed analysis of market trends in the Ukrainian cards and payments industry. It provides values and volumes for card payments in the industry during the review-period (2017-21e).The report also analyzes various payment card markets operating in the industry and provides detailed information on the number of cards in circulation, transaction values and volumes during the review-period and over the forecast-period (2021e-25f). It also offers information on the country's competitive landscape, including market shares of issuers and schemes.
The report brings together GlobalData’s research, modeling, and analysis expertise to allow banks and card issuers to identify segment dynamics and competitive advantages. The report also covers detailed regulatory policies and recent changes in regulatory structure.
This report provides top-level market analysis, information and insights into the Ukrainian cards and payments industry, including –
– Current and forecast values for each market in the Ukrainian cards and payments industry, including debit and credit cards.
– An overview of the country's key alternative payment instruments.
– Ecommerce market analysis.
– Analysis of various market drivers and regulations governing the Ukrainian cards and payments industry.
– Detailed analysis of strategies adopted by banks and other institutions to market debit and credit cards.
– Comprehensive analysis of consumer attitudes and buying preferences for cards.
– The competitive landscape of the Ukrainian cards and payments industry.
– The outbreak of COVID-19 has resulted in a significant shift in the preferences of consumers towards the use of cashless payment methods. As per data published by the National Bank of Ukraine, in September 2020, 11.5 million unique contactless cards were used for transactions – a 51% increase compared to January 2020. Over half of both the total number and value of cashless transactions in retail chains were made using contactless methods in the first nine months of 2020. During the same period, the number of business entities accepting payment cards increased by 31.7%. As of December 2020, there were 13.2 million contactless payment cards in Ukraine, which represented an increase of 52.5% compared to 2019. With banks launching initiatives to accelerate the introduction of payment innovations, this trend is likely to continue over the coming years.
– Ukraine has traditionally been a cash-dominated society. However, cash use declined in 2020 due to fears surrounding COVID-19 and the handling of money. Consequently, the volume of ATM transactions dropped by 11.7% in Ukraine in 2020 compared to 2019, indicating that consumers are increasingly shifting from cash-based payments to digital payment tools – particularly non-contact tools. In addition, in April 2020, Visa raised the limit on contactless card payments in the country from UAH1,000 ($35.28) to UAH1,500 ($52.92) in a bid to encourage consumers to use contactless payments rather than cash for purchases of essential items.
– The prepaid card market in Ukraine saw the number of cards in circulation and payment transaction value record review-period CAGRs of -35.4% and -32.2% respectively. The decline was particularly prominent in 2020, as several players operating in the country’s prepaid card market ceased their operations in H2 2020. For example, Alfa-Bank stopped its FORPOST and PROSTIR prepaid payment card services in the country.
Reasons to buy
– Make strategic business decisions, using top-level historic and forecast market data, related to the Ukrainian cards and payments industry and each market within it.
– Understand the key market trends and growth opportunities in the Ukrainian cards and payments industry.
– Assess the competitive dynamics in the Ukrainian cards and payments industry.
– Gain insights into marketing strategies used for various card types in Ukraine.
– Gain insights into key regulations governing the Ukrainian cards and payments industry.
National Bank of Ukraine
Click to Pay
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Payment Infrastructure and Regulation