Morocco Cards and Payments – Opportunities and Risks to 2024
- Pages: 49
- Published: June 2021
- Report Code: GDFS0512CI
GlobalData’s 'Morocco Cards and Payments – Opportunities and Risks to 2024' report provides detailed analysis of market trends in the Moroccan cards and payments industry. It provides values and volumes for a number of key performance indicators in the industry, including cards, credit transfers, direct debits, and cheques during the review-period (2016-20e).
The report also analyzes various payment card markets operating in the industry and provides detailed information on the number of cards in circulation, transaction values and volumes during the review-period and over the forecast-period (2020e-24f). It also offers information on the country's competitive landscape, including market shares of issuers and schemes.
The report brings together GlobalData’s research, modeling, and analysis expertise to allow banks and card issuers to identify segment dynamics and competitive advantages. The report also covers detailed regulatory policies and recent changes in regulatory structure.
This report provides top-level market analysis, information and insights into the Moroccan cards and payments industry, including –
– Current and forecast values for each market in the Moroccan cards and payments industry, including debit and credit cards.
– Detailed insights into payment instruments including cards, credit transfers, direct debits, and cheques. It also, includes an overview of the country's key alternative payment instruments.
– Ecommerce market analysis.
– Analysis of various market drivers and regulations governing Morocco's cards and payments industry.
– Detailed analysis of strategies adopted by banks and other institutions to market debit and credit cards.
– The adoption of convenient and secure alternative payment solutions is on the rise among Moroccans. Most recently, in July 2020, the Centre Monétique Interbancaire (CMI) (Interbank Electronic Banking Center) launched a mobile payment solution called Ibriz. The solution allows consumers to make payments in three ways: contactless payments, QR code, or by entering the merchant’s mobile phone number. It also allows users to transfer money, pay bills, and withdraw money from their Ibriz account. Meanwhile, in June 2020, Maroc Telecom unveiled its mobile payment solution MT Cash, which allows users to make purchases, bill payments, top up their mobile credit, and transfer money. Similarly, Orange Money was launched in Morocco in March 2020. This is a mobile money service that allows individuals to transfer money, withdraw cash, make bill payments, and top up mobile phones.
– In view of the COVID-19 pandemic, banks and consumers are increasingly moving toward digital channels, resulting in several Moroccan banks allowing consumers to open a bank account online. These include Banque Populaire. Individuals looking to do this need a digital signature and proof of ID, and are then identified via video call. Similarly, Attijariwafa Bank's digital-only bank, L'bankalik, allows individuals under 35 years of age to open accounts online with a selfie and digital signature. These accounts come with a free Mastercard debit card and zero account maintenance fees.
– To push the underpenetrated credit card market, card schemes are constantly undertaking promotional activities. For instance, Mastercard, together with Banque Populaire, launched a promotional campaign through which card holders were entitled to various prizes when selected in a draw on payments made between January 15, 2021 and April 14, 2021. Meanwhile, Visa ran a promotional campaign from March 2021 to May 2021 in partnership with the CMI. As part of the program, Visa offered 10% refunds on consumers’ first contactless payments in Marjane, Carrefour, BIM, or Aswak Assalam stores, and on their first online payments on the Glovo and Showroomprive.ma websites.
Reasons to buy
– Make strategic business decisions, using top-level historic and forecast market data, related to the Moroccan cards and payments industry and each market within it.
– Understand the key market trends and growth opportunities in the Moroccan cards and payments industry.
– Assess the competitive dynamics in the Moroccan cards and payments industry.
– Gain insights into marketing strategies used for various card types in Morocco.
– Gain insights into key regulations governing the Moroccan cards and payments industry.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Payment Infrastructure & Regulation