TrendSights Analysis: Health & Wellness – All Aboard the Plant Wagon
- Pages: 53
- Published: December 2019
- Report Code: CS1908TS
“TrendSights Analysis: Health & Wellness – All Aboard the Plant Wagon” explores what the trend is, what drives it, who is most influenced by it, and how brands and manufacturers can capitalize on it. The research concludes by identifying where the trend is heading next.
From 2019’s Veganuary being the most popular one in history and vegan meat products sweeping the fast food chain world, it is easy to see that the plant-based trend has snuck into the food/drink industry. However, the trend is not contained to the food/drink industry and has been making waves across other categories too, such as beauty, household care, and children’s products. A large portion of consumers – over a third – are paying high or very high attention to ingredients across all consumer industries, and there is strong interest around ‘natural’ claims. To fall into line with these expectations, many brands have committed themselves to becoming more plant-based in future.
– Brands have profited immensely from positioning their products as plant-based and a wide variety of new product launches incorporating plant-based elements are showcased and discussed, from meat and fish alternatives to plant-based packaging.
– The key drivers of this trend include ethical, environmental, and health concerns. A rejection of artificial ingredients and consumers positive perception of plants underpin the health factor. Ethical considerations revolve around animal welfare, while environmental drivers are fuelled by consumer awareness of air and water pollution, as well as plastic waste.
– Millennials are an important target demographic for plant-based innovations. Social media has played a part in the popularity of plant-based diets and younger generations are more heavily impacted by this. Additionally, ethical and environmental factors are more likely to influence millennial and Gen Z product choices.
– Food labeling and disposal issues are among the key challenges that are gaining attention. Using the right material and getting the right taste are also pivotal to a product’s success.
Consumer concerns around the safety and harshness of chemicals used in products, coupled with the health halo of plant-based ingredients are key drivers of plant based popularity. This is further demonstrated by the fact that 6 out of 10 global consumers believe that botanicals and plant extracts have a positive impact on the body.
Despite a very small percentage of vegans/vegetarians (4%), Central & South America score high on the relevant drivers for this trend, with almost a third of its population heavily influences by ethical and environmental factors
Reasons to buy
– Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
– Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
– Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
What is the plant-based trend?
Why is this trend doing well?
Who is driving the trend?
How are brands addressing this demand?
What are the main challenges for plant-based products?
What is next for the plant-based trend?