The global confectionery market size was at US$191.4 billion in 2020 and is forecast to record a CAGR of more than 3% during 2020–2025. The Americas represented the largest region for the global confectionery market, in 2020, followed by the Western Europe and Asia-Pacific. Among all the regions, Eastern Europe and Western Europe are forecast to record the highest value CAGR during 2020-2025. Chocolate was the largest category followed by sugar confectionery and gum.
As the COVID-19 vaccination programs gather pace and some semblance of normal life returns, consumers are poised to increase their spend on indulgent products such as confectionery. This will bring back the demand for confectionery products, which was affected during the pandemic as consumers cut down on non-essential purchases. The primary macroeconomic factors driving the global sector in the coming years will remain rising populations, increasing urbanization rates, and improving economies.
Global confectionery market overview
To know more insights on this report, Download the free sample
What are the confectionery market dynamics?
COVID-19 induced economic downturn is affecting the consumer purchase power and their spending on discretionary categories such as confectionery. The market share of confectionery is set to decrease across all regions except the Eastern Europe. However, consumers’ interest in the use of healthier ingredients has led to the launch of products with claims such as ‘no trans fats’ and ‘low-/zero-sugar’. Millennials and their experimental palates will drive innovation in the sector.
Online ordering and food delivery has gained traction during the pandemic as retail outlets were forced to close during the lockdowns. This has helped the companies in minimizing the effect of lockdowns and restrictions and deliver the products directly to consumers. Manufacturers are further investing in innovative packaging technologies which not only help keep the product fresh but also offer an added convenience for consumers.
Limiting sugar in food products has become significantly more popular among consumers during recent years, which has resulted in increased emphasis on nutrients labels on packages. Food administrations and health ministries around the world are defining regulations and guidelines on nutrition facts label for sugar.
In the last few years, sugary foods have come under increasing media and legislative scrutiny. Additionally, governments, including those of the UK, France, and the Netherlands, have imposed taxes on sugar- and calorie-rich foods such as chocolate and sugar confectionery in a bid to wean consumers off from sugary foods and drive an impetus toward healthier alternatives.
What are the product classifications in confectionery market?
Chocolate is the largest category in the global confectionery market, followed by sugar confectionery and gum. Chocolate is further expected to gain share from other categories during the forecast period. Chocolate dominated the confectionary market in most of the regions while sugar confectionary led the Asia-Pacific region.
With consumers seeking a healthy lifestyle, manufacturers are compelled to meet low calorie and sugar targets in their products so as to gain consumer attention. Additionally, with rising number of people opting for veganism, vegan-friendly chocolates are increasingly becoming popular. Another important growing niche is artisanal chocolate such as bean-to-bar, made using locally sourced ingredients and traditional methods.
What are the top regions and countries for the confectionery market?
Americas and Western Europe were the leading markets for confectionery in 2020, followed by Asia-Pacific, Eastern Europe and Middle East and Africa. Asia-Pacific is set to emerge as one of the fast-growing markets, with China, India and Japan accounting for the majority share. Globally, US led the sector while Germany and the UK led the Western Europe region.
Global confectionery market, by region
To know more about Regional market analysis of the market, Download the free sample
Of the top 10 high-potential countries, Japan was leading the confectionery market in 2020 while Vietnam is forecast to record the fastest growth during 2020-2025. Russia emerged as the largest confectionery market in Eastern Europe while Germany represented the largest market in Western Europe. China led the Asia-Pacific region while Saudi Arabia held the largest share in the Middle East & Africa region.
What are the types of distribution channels in global confectionery market?
Hypermarkets & supermarkets was the leading distribution channel for confectionery globally, followed by convenience stores, food & drinks specialists, and e-retailers. Hypermarkets & supermarkets’ large share can be attributed to the developed organized retail industry in major countries. The hypermarkets & supermarkets channel led the distribution of confectionery in the Americas, Western Europe, and Eastern Europe, while the convenience stores channel led in the Asia-Pacific and Middle East & Africa regions. Food & drinks specialists controlled a significant share in Eastern Europe while e-retailers were strong in the Asia-Pacific region.
Global confectionery market, by distribution channel
To know more about distribution channel insights, Download the free sample
What are the types of packaging materials used in global confectionery market?
In confectionery sector, flexible packaging is the most used packaging types, followed by rigid plastic and paper & board. Flexible packaging is set to grow the fastest of all pack materials during 2020-2025 followed by Paper & board. Bag/Sachet was the most used pack type in the confectionery sector in 2020, followed by Film, which is anticipated to grow at fastest CAGR during 2020-2025. Prize Off is the most used closure type and Carton – Folding is top primary outer packaging in the global confectionery sector.
Who are the major vendors in the confectionary market?
In the global confectionery market, the top five companies accounted for a combined value share of more than 45% in 2020. Mars, Incorporated is the leading company, followed by Mondelēz International, Inc; Nestlé SA; The Hershey Co; and Ferrero. Leading brands in the global confectionary market include M&M, owned by Mars; Milka, owned by Mondelēz; and Kit Kat, owned by Nestlé. Hershey’s held the largest share in the global chocolate category in 2020 while Extra, owned by Mars led the Gum category. Sugar confectionary category was dominated by Haribo.
Western Europe had the highest value share of private label confectionery in 2020 followed by Eastern Europe. This can be attributed to the popularity of the private label confectionery offered by retail outlets such as Aldi and Lidl across Europe. Low prices, attractive loyalty programs, and in-store discounts/promotional offers are some of the appealing factors associated with private labels. Meanwhile, Asia-Pacific and Middle East & Africa had relatively low market shares.
Global confectionery market, by key companies
To know more about key companies, Download the free sample
|Market size (Year – 2020)||US$191.4 billion|
|Growth rate||CAGR of >3% from 2020 to 2025|
|Base year for estimation||2020|
|Product segmentation||Chocolate, Sugar Confectionery and Gum|
|Distribution channels||Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, E-retailers, Food and Drinks Specialists|
|Regional coverage||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Central & South America, Middle East & Africa|
|Key companies||Mars, Mondelēz International, Nestlé SA, The Hershey Co, Ferrero|
Global report on the confectionery market provides insights on high growth categories to target, trends in the usage of packaging materials, types and closures category level distribution data and brands market shares.
What else is contained:
- Market data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2010–2020
- Category coverage: Value and growth analysis with inputs on individual segment share within each category and the change in their market share forecast for 2015–2020
- More extensive brand coverage: The report provides more extensive brand share coverage. Brand share data is also validated by inputs from industry experts.
- Distribution channel: The distribution data included in the report covers 11 distribution channels including Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Health & Beauty Stores, Department Stores, Cash & Carries & Warehouse Clubs, “Dollar Stores” and Variety Stores & General Merchandise Retailers.
- Packaging data: Consumption breakdown for packaging materials and containers in each category, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Packaging material data for Rigid Plastics, Flexible Packaging, Rigid Metal, and others; container data for: Film, Bag/Sachet, Wrapper, and others
- Country Analysis: Trend analysis for leading high potential countries
- Recommendations for manufacturers on key confectionery categories – Chocolate, Gum and Sugar Confectionery on parameters including Formulation, Positioning, Packaging, Occasion, Consumer Targets, and Key Segments
- What is the global confectionary market size in 2020?
- The global confectionary market size was estimated at US$191.4 billion in 2020.
- What is the confectionery market growth rate?
- The global confectionary market is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of more than 3% from 2020 to 2025.
- Which regional segment accounted for the largest in confectionary market share?
- The Americas represented the largest region for the global confectionery market in 2020, followed by the Western Europe and Asia-Pacific.
- Who are the key players in global confectionary market?
- Mars, Incorporated was the leading company in 2020, followed by Mondelēz International, Inc, Nestlé SA, The Hershey Co, and Ferrero.
- What are the High Potential countries for the confectionary market?
- The high-potential countries identified were Indonesia, Japan, India, Canada, Brazil, Switzerland, Spain, Poland, Ukraine and South Africa.
- What are the leading distribution channels in global confectionary market?
- Hypermarkets & supermarkets was the leading distribution channel for confectionery globally in 2020, followed by convenience stores. Hypermarkets & supermarkets’ large share can be attributed to the developed organized retail industry in major countries.
- What is the widely used pack material in confectionary market?
- Flexible packaging was the most widely used pack material in the confectionery market in 2020.
Reasons to Buy
- To have a thorough fact-based analysis with information about the global confectionery industry across the five regions in value terms and the underlying factors that are driving the sales.
- To gain confidence to make the correct business decisions based on a detailed analysis of the industry and to identify high potential countries over the next 5 years.
- The analysts have placed a significant emphasis on the mega trends that drive consumer choice and will provide a clear picture about the future opportunities that can be explored across the regions, resulting in revenue expansion.
- To gain competitive intelligence about leading brands in the industry at global and regional level with information about their sector share, business descriptions and product profiles
The Hershey Co
Mondelez International Inc
Perfetti Van Melle SpA
Lotte Co. Ltd.
Minoo industrial group
Fujian Yake Food Co. Ltd.
Lofthouse Of Fleetwood Ltd.
Morinaga & Co. Ltd.
Want Want China Holdings Limited
Melville Candy Company
Tootsie Roll Industries Inc
Table of Contents
Part 1: Sector Overview
Current scenario and future outlook
Global confectionery sector overview – what are the growth drivers, latest developments, and future inhibitors?
Regional confectionery overview – what are the growth drivers, latest developments, and future inhibitors?
Key challenges in the global confectionery sector
Part 2: Shift In Food Consumption Patterns
Change in consumption levels in the overall food industry, 2014-2024
Reasons for shift in consumption patterns
Part 3: Identifying High-Potential Countries
Analysis of 10 countries on the basis of risk-reward analysis (market assessment, economic development,
Socio-demographic, governance indicators, and technological infrastructure
Part 4: Country Deep Analysis
High-potential country analysis
Part 5: Health & Wellness Analysis – Global and Regional Level
Value share analysis of health & wellness market
Health & wellness market growth analysis by region
Key product attributes
Key consumer benefits
Leading health & wellness companies by category
Part 6: Competitive Landscape
Leading companies by value – Global
Leading companies and brands share analysis – Global
Leading companies and brands share analysis by region
Part 7: Competitive Landscape – Market Analysis
Part 8: Market Share of Private Label
Private label share analysis by region
Private label share analysis by region
Part 9: Key Distribution Channels
Share of key distribution channels – global and regional level
Part 10: Key Packaging Formats
Growth analysis by key pack material and pack type
Growth analysis by closure type and primary outer type
List of Tables
Key Markets by Value (US$ Million), 2020 vs. 2025 – Global
Key Markets by Value (US$ Million), 2020 vs. 2025 – Asia-Pacific
Key Markets by Value (US$ Million), 2020 vs. 2025 – Middle East & Africa
Key Markets by Value (US$ Million), 2020 vs. 2025 – Americas
Key Markets by Value (US$ Million), 2020 vs. 2025 – Western Europe
Key Markets by Value (US$ Million), 2020 vs. 2025 – Eastern Europe
Indonesia – Category Share
Japan – Category Share
India – Category Share
South Africa – Category Share
Canada – Category Share
Brazil – Category Share
Switzerland – Category Share
Spain – Category Share
Poland – Category Share
Ukraine – Category Share
Leading Confectionery Companies by Value – Global
Key Pack Material Volume Share (%), 2020
Annual Volume Growth by Pack Material (%), 2015-2025
Key Pack Type Volume Share (%), 2020
Annual Volume Growth by Pack Type (%), 2015-2025
Key Closure Type Volume Share (%), 2020
Annual Volume Growth by Closure Type (%), 2015-2025
Key Primary Outer Volume Share (%), 2020
Annual Volume Growth by Primary Outer (%), 2015-2025
List of Figures
Identifying High-Potential Countries, Risk-Reward Analysis – Asia-Pacific
Identifying High-Potential Countries, Risk-Reward Analysis – Middle East & Africa
Identifying High-Potential Countries, Risk-Reward Analysis – Americas
Identifying High-Potential Countries, Risk-Reward Analysis – Western Europe
Identifying High-Potential Countries, Risk-Reward Analysis – Eastern Europe
Company and Brand Share Analysis – Global
Company and Brand Share Analysis – Asia-Pacific
Company and Brand Share Analysis – Middle East & Africa
Company and Brand Share Analysis – America
Company and Brand Share Analysis – Western Europe
Company and Brand Share Analysis – Eastern Europe
Key Brands – Chocolate, 2020
Key Brands – Gum, 2020
Key Brands – Sugar Confectionery, 2020
Private Label Value and Share by Region, 2015-2020
Private Label Value Sales (US$ Million) and Share (%) by Category, 2020
Leading Distribution Channels by Region (% Share by Value), 2020