The chronic heart failure (CHF) market is a mature market that has been slowly overtaken by generic drugs, and more branded products are expected to lose market exclusivity during the next few years. GlobalData predicts that the major global barriers that will play a crucial role in narrowing the global growth of the CHF market over the forecast period include the sparsely populated CHF pipeline and an increasing number of generic competitors in a market that is already heavily laden with generic drugs. However, the market entry of entry of Novartis’ LCZ-696, the first novel, branded CHF drug to enter the market in five years, will noticeably enhance the overall market size during the forecast period. LCZ-696 is currently being evaluated in a trial for patients with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction (HF-REF), but if clinical trial data continue to demonstrate the drug’s efficacy in patients with heart failure with preserved ejection fraction (HF-PEF), and it gains approval for use in this population, it will be the first drug to show efficacy in this largely underserved patient population. In addition, increased use of MRAs over the forecast period in all seven major markets (7MM) will contribute to the increase in the global CHF market size.
- Overview of CHF, including epidemiology, etiology, symptoms, diagnosis, pathology and treatment guidelines.
- Annualized CHF therapeutics market revenue, annual cost of therapy and treatment usage pattern data from 2011-2012 and forecast for ten years to 2022.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, clinical trial mapping and implications for the CHF therapeutics market.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, including both pharmacological and non-pharmacological therapeutic approaches.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global CHF therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Market Model Features
An interactive excel forecast model based on primary research interviews and surveys with KOLs and high-prescribing physicians is included in this report*. This patient based model provides diagnosis rates, patient segmentation, treatment rates, annual costs of therapy , and indication-specific drug sales for the 10 year forecast period. The forecast model is robust, fully transparent, and easy to navigate. Moreover, our models support data presented in the reports and the complete methodology is outlined in the report and the model.
*Model only available with site and global license purchases.
- An increasing number of generic competitors present a significant barrier to growth in a market already heavily laden with generic drugs.
- The launch of Novartis’s LCZ-696, a new market entrant, will drive the overall growth of the CHF market in the 7MM during 2012-2022.
- To date, no drug has demonstrated sufficient efficacy in the HF-PEF segment of the CHF population in large-scale clinical trials. This unmet need presents a large opportunity for investment by drug developers.