Seasonal Influenza is a respiratory infection caused by influenza virus that results in mild to severe symptoms, such as fever, cold and cough. The market is heavily driven by the sales of prophylactic vaccine treatments to prevent infection. Currently, trivalent intramuscular vaccines such as Sanofi’s Fluzone and Vaxigrip, GlaxoSmithKline’s Fluarix and FluLaval and Novartis’ Fluvirin garner the majority stake of the market. However, with the entrance of vaccines with novel routes of administration, such as AstraZeneca’s intranasal FluMist and Sanofi’s Fluzone IntraDermal, GlobalData projects a dramatic shift favoring the adoption of such vaccines over the traditional intramuscular vaccines. GlobalData also anticipates that manufacturers that launch quadrivalent formulations will steal market share, patient share, and revenue from the trivalent influenza vaccines currently available.
- Overview of seasonal influenza, including epidemiology, etiology, general symptoms from infection, and national vaccination recommendations and guidelines.
- Annualized seasonal influenza vaccine market revenue, annual cost of vaccination and treatment usage pattern data from 2012 and forecast for ten years to 2022.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, clinical trial mapping and implications for the seasonal influenza market.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases and emerging trends, specifically cell culture based vaccines and quadrivalent vaccines with novel routes of administration.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global seasonal influenza vaccine market. Insightful review of the key industry and governmental drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Market Model Features
An interactive excel forecast model based on primary research interviews and surveys with KOLs and high-prescribing physicians is included in this report*. This patient based model provides diagnosis rates, patient segmentation, treatment rates, annual costs of therapy , and indication-specific drug sales for the 10 year forecast period. The forecast model is robust, fully transparent, and easy to navigate. Moreover, our models support data presented in the reports and the complete methodology is outlined in the report and the model.
*Model only available with site and global license purchases.
- Quadrivalent vaccines are expected to cannibalize sales of trivalent vaccines or overtake trivalent vaccine sales.
- New market entrants will increase competitiveness in the areas of production, manufacturing, fidelity to circulating influenza strains and strength of immune response elicited.
- The initiation of a government initiative in the UK with Fluenz (FluMist) is anticipated to dramatically change market dynamics.